czwartek

10 October. Erzorum

I didn’t want to stay there for a night. I wanted to get to the border quickly and across to Iran. Simon told me a lot about Iran. That it’s cheap, people are great and it is really awesome.

In Erzincan I got a full tank and went to the shop adjacent to the station. Inside only woman giggling, smiling at me, I don’t know why.

Maybe, because I was unshaven? Or so dirty?… I purchased 3 packs of cookies, jumped on the bike and took off.

I passed by a part of the city with many car repair workshops, every city has one. When spotted a shop I entered it in hope to buy stickers I was looking for since I came to Turkey. I found them! I was so exited I bought two. The guy also removed some of the asphalt stuck to my bike, I forgot to mention that on the way to Erzincan I had to ride 5km on the road where just asphalt was poured and covered with gravel. The bike was grimy with pitch.

I took off again, road as a road with quite decent views. In Erzorum at the junction I saw a guy that could hardly wait for green light. I started a fraction faster, he caught me and overtook just to brake rapidly and turn right. I didn’t brake in time and crashed into his back. I tried to turn to avoid him so I didn’t hit with my front wheel only with crashbars and the tank. I could hold on to the bike, when stopped, got off the bike and threw my gloves.



I started to yell at the guy who did the same. I was jumping as a rabbit on the road to explain and show him that he is an idiot. I didn’t know what to do. To call police or not. More and more people were coming. Now-I thought- if police comes I’m in trouble. 100 men saw it was my fault. I got out a duct tape from paniers and started to fix the damage. After few minutes I got on the bike and drove off. The guy just waved with his hands. 20 km later I stopped to calm down and drink some water. The engine didn’t want to start again. I started to panic. Few texts to Zaba, she made a couple of phone calls to get help. To Steve in BMW Dalkeith, to Steve and Dave-datatool guy in Saltire. They said it could be few things. Alarm was going off on his own, I couldn’t hear the pomp, maybe fuel pressure? I lifted the tank, and spilled petrol all over me.


A guy speeded by on the GSX-R, I could hear Yoshi from far. I didn’t know if he saw me waving. Hi did. Came back shortly. Murad, he is an optician. Owns a shop with glasses and many other things. I gestured what was wrong. He grabbed his phone and started to call. I could hear TAMAM TAMAM all the time. In the meantime I checked all the fuses as guys recommended, under the tank was the alarm fuse- burnt! Bingo. Murad jumped on the bike and after 20 min came back with fuses. After next 30min fuel tank was back on the bike, ignition ON and the engine started to talk to me again. Awsome! So I decided to stay in Erzorum.

Murad said that the bike goes to his garage and I go to hotel. Garage turned out to be his shop with glasses and hotel…. Well.. hotel. I didn’t want to pay for a hotel more than 25lir. And I didn’t. Later on I found out that he paid the extra 10. At 8pm we met in his shop, more people started to come. Murad sent somebody to bring me food. Fresh tea was on my table all the time. Later came Ahmed. He jumped on my bike and rode away, and we after him by car. I don’t understand Turkish and could only recognize TAMAM TAMAM. We arrived at the workshop and they already worked on my bike. Fender already fixed, more guys came and cleaned the bent, when started to pat and straighten it petrol begun to leak. They quickly drained the tank or I should say Mahamad did (he looks like young John Torturro). Mahamad sucked the fuel through a pipe as professional. The hole was cleaned and a screw with special glue was put into it, “We will see tomorrow“ they said. In the meantime other guys fixed indicator from Honda J , it worked! Today morning everything proved to work fine. No leak, glue became hard as metal. Now only to carwash. I didn’t pay for anything! Repair, mechanics, spraying the tank, wash, dinner or today’s breakfast – not a penny. I felt very happy today. When I was saying goodbye I cried. I was overwhelmed. I said , if it wasn’t for them my trip could have end up there. I think that was the best thanks for them. Even now I shed a tear. I am so grateful for their selfless and candid help.


So I got to Degubayazit. Tomorrow Iran! There, probably the real thing will begin…

1 komentarz:

Mr W pisze...

Hey Marcin! Great to hear that all's well. Looking forward to hearing about Iran. Safe riding. Peter W.